Re: Looking for code conversions tools ..

From: Ira D. Baxter <idbaxter_at_semdesigns.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 06:54:44 GMT

The DMS Software Reeengineering Toolkit is generalized compiler technology used to automate custom analyses, enhancements or translations of large-scale software source systems. It can parse sources in multiple languages, carry out transforms, and then prettyprint results. See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSToolkit.html. DMS already knows Oracle8, PL/SQL, C, and VB.

To carry out the task you want, the source langauges you want to translates ("BASIC", forms, reports) have to be defined to DMS, and then the translation rules written. This isn't easy, and generally isn't cheap, so it makes sense only if the amount of code you want to move is fairly substantial. But DMS is one of the few existing translation tools with anything like the ability to carry this off.

--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D. CTO Semantic Designs, Inc.
http://www.semdesigns.com