Re: PL/SQL vs PROC Performance Issue - Oracle 8.1.6

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:35:26 GMT

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:39:26 -0400, "uunet" <r_at_b.com> wrote:

>Pro*C application and the 'PL/SQL' script were both run on the same server.
>They are not using SQLNET connection.

Really weird.

>So the Question is
>1) Do we need to recompile the Pro*C program with different optimization
>switches ?

Could well be. Run the "proc" thing without parameters and see what comes out as defaults. From memory, there are two switches that influence what cursors do in terms of caching/staying open. REBIND was one of them, can't remember what the other one was. This might be relevant in your case?

>2) Tune the database so that Pro*C programs understand to make use of the
>available CPU power and free memory to get the work done faster .

Not much you can do in terms of tuning DB specifically for Pro*C. You could try parallel insert or direct load, I suppose. That should make things significantly faster for Pro*C.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:35:26 CEST