Re: I need a picture of Java to Oracle <Latest> (my brain's not getting it)

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:16:15 GMT

Not quite sure what you are asking ...

If you want to know how to get >data< interaction between an Oracle database (or any other 'industrial' database) and your Java app running on a laptop, the primary & recommended way is to use a SQL API. The possibilities include JDBC and SQLJ. Both are industry standard APIs and are explained at http://technet.oracle.com/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/

Other methods for interacting for interacting with the JVM inside the database include XML, JSP, CORBA, EJB, etc. but most fall back on JDBC and/or SQLJ for >actual interaction with database objects<. Recommended page to start looking at this is
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/content.html

Oracle does provide a few things to help you out including (but not limited to): JDeveloper is their Java IDE and it has a number of enhancements & wizards to try to make life a lot simpler for various types of operations; and BC4J (Business Components for Java) provides a framework for creating and using 'business components' that require database interactions.

Oracle database built-in capabilities also minimize or eliminate special custom Java code; intermedia is included in the database and handles virtually all multimedia interactions as well as text indexing and text searches a lot easier than custom Java code; spatial option simplifies interaction with polygon and spatial coordinate manipulation, management and searching; iFS does a fair bit of standard document management while making the database look like a NFS disk (or network drive in Microsoft environment). However, most of these use some form of SQL API (again JDBC or SQLJ) as the Java interface.

[Quoted] And since the Oracle9i Application Server includes a report and ad-hoc query capabaility, that can eliminate or minimize Java for information distribution.

As for successes, yes there are quite a number, but you don't want to hear about them from me ...

HTH
/Hans