Re: Use MS Access to create Oracle Tables?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:58:48 GMT

Jim wrote:

> I know next to nothing about MS Access but we have a user that wants
> to create tables in our Oracle 8.1.7 server and we would like to
> support him with some sort of GUI tool. Does anyone know if MS Access
> can be used as a general purpose front end to Oracle that would allow
> a user to create/drop tables, indexes, etc?

Doing so is a great way to make a huge mess. If your users are smart enough to do it in Access ... they are smart enought to learn a few lines of SQL. Create a template for them such as the following:

CREATE TABLE <tablename>
(

)

Let them write up a full script and then let a DBA review it and execute it.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:58:48 CEST

Original text of this message