Re: Backup & Recovery

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:16:24 GMT

In article <1ddc56b5.0106251438.21d5abaf_at_posting.google.com>, m.fangtao_at_genesis.co.nz says...

>Hi All,
> I am a new Oracle DBA. I want to know something about backup &
>recovery
>1. How do you do daily backup for Oracle? Do you use RMAN and recovery
>catalog ? The Oracle version we purchase is 8i standard edition. Does
>It
>support incremenetal backup? Do you think it's necessary to use RMAN
>if it does not support incremenetal backup
>3. How do you deal with archived redo log at daytime? Is the archived
>redo log written into a tape or disk after it's full ?
>

>Thanks in advance.
>
>Meng

see
http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/server.816/a76962/ch4.htm#73594 for the feature/function matrix available with SE, PE and EE.

Incremental backup is not part of SE.

It is not necesary to use RMAN but you might find it easier (or not). It is a matter of choice.

as for archived redo log, i tend to have a script that copies and compresses it every 15 minutes to another disk (preferably on another machine) and then tar to tape later.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/
[Quoted] Expert one on one Oracle, programming techniques and solutions for Oracle.