Re: SQL*Loader 8 on NT - Does it work?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:58:55 GMT

"Henk Hultink" <hhu_at_stopspam.stoas.nl> wrote in message news:3b374c4d_at_news.wau.nl...
> Hi Sybrand,
>
> I know that 7.3.4 is desupported, and at the current rate of pace at which
> Oracle is releasing new versions and desupporting old ones, it is simply
> impossible for a smaller company with 15 clients to keep up.
> Most of our clients still work with Novell Netware, and as you probably
 know
> that will be desupported too, so we have more problems than this one
> already. IMO being professional has nothing to do with allowing big
 software
> companies to force a new release upon you each year.
> This specific problem occurred when one of our customers upgraded his
> workstations to Windows NT Professional without consulting us first.
> BTW you didn't answer my question, and FYI: we ARE working on an upgrade
> Oracle 8 - with version 9 already being released...
>
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > "Henk Hultink" <hhu_at_stopspam.stoas.nl> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We found that there seems to be a problem with SQL*Loader 7.3 on a
> > > Windows/2000 client. Is the solution to upgrade to SQL*Loader 8.x?
 Does
 this
> > > work on Win2000 clients?
> > > And does SQL*Loader 8 cooperate with an Oracle 7.3.4. database?
> > >
> > > --
> > > H. Hultink
> > > Software Engineer
> > > Stoas, Division IOAL
> > > Wageningen, The Netherlands
> > > "Activating Knowledge"
> > > http://www.stoas.nl
> > >
> > > e-mail: hhu_at_stopspam.stoas.nl
> > >

> > In case you didn't know: Oracle 7.3.4 has been desupported and it has
 never
> > been certified against Win2k.
> > So if it works: lucky you. If it doesn't work: your out of options, as
> > Oracle won't solve your problem.
> > Please upgrade before you get into serious trouble.
> > I'm always a bit stumped consulting firms continue to use desupported
> > software, IMO this is simply unprofessional, and it is one of the issues
 on
> > which I have a difference of opinion with my management (I am a
 consultant
> > myself).
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

You should upgrade to 8.1.7 rightaway, 8.1.6 is the first to have certified against win2k, and that will be desupported in October. Otherwise, customer has to downgrade to win Nt4. Also Oracle is not guaranteed to be downwards compatible: 7 clients should work with 8.0 and 8.1, the other way around: it might work, it might not. I wouldn't try using sql*loader 8 against 7.3.4 .

I want to stress you are in unknown territory, and Oracle is not going to help you, and the only thing I can say is 'Please Upgrade'

The initial 7.3.4 desupport notice was being made public in 1998, so 2! years before the actual end of life. I agree major upgrades occurred more frequently after 8.0, but everyone did have 2! years to upgrade. I have been working at a big company in Amstelveen, flying all around over the world, where in 1998 they were running 6! different versions, one of which was replaced by Oracle 7 5! years ago, and only one was supported. Working with 6 different version is, I can assure you, a nightmare.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:58:55 CEST

Original text of this message