Re: Oracle Client files for Linux

From: Adam <ask_at_me.spam>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:56:30 GMT

[Quoted] Ok, that's great. But what I really need is to be able to connect with an [Quoted] SQL-Client (such as SQL*Plus or YASQL). And from what I could gather at crlab.com, this ODAC thing doesn't allow that -- only from code. If you know [Quoted] of another alternative (or if I have misunderstood the homepage) please let me know!

Thanks
Adam

"wayne" <no_at_email.please.com> wrote in message news:9grgar$t47_at_dispatch.concentric.net...
> > > A) Is there any way to connect to a server without the client
 software?
> > No
>
> Yes, of course there is. A great example is the Oracle Java thin client
> JDBC driver. It does not need the Oracle client because it has its own
> sockets and talks over the network to the server's listener directly.
>
> This functionality is not particular to Java, though. I use Delphi a lot
> and I use an excellent library that has the ability to bypass the Oracle
> client interface (OCI) and use the same mechanism as the Java thin
 client.
> The library is called ODAC and now they have a version out for Kylix (the
> so-called "Delphi for Linux") that runs under Linux.
>
> Anyway, it would not surprise me if there are more products like this.
 You