Re: creating a database through odbc?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:56:09 GMT

wayne wrote:

> > As long as you are so good hurling insults perhaps you will enlighten the
 rest
> > of us how you go about creating a schema through an ODBC connection. No
 doubt
> > demonstrating how to specify tablespaces, storage parameters, create views
 and
> > sequences, and compile code.
>
> You gotta be kidding, right? Ignoring the fact that the guy did not ask the
> question you ask of me, I do not see how it is hard to create users/schemas,
> compile, etc...
>
> Here's a VB snippet:
>
> Dim OracleConn As New Connection
> Dim OracleCmd As New Command
> Call OracleConn.Open("PROVIDER=MSDASQL;Driver={Oracle ODBC
> Driver};UID=a;PWD=a;DBQ=myDSN")
> Set OracleCmd.ActiveConnection = OracleConn
> OracleCmd.CommandText = "CREATE USER TTT IDENTIFIED BY TTT"
> Call OracleCmd.Execute(, , adExecuteNoRecords)
>
> Why is the preceding snippet impossible to implement? You can pass _any_
> oracle code/command through the ODBC driver.
>
> I still think your response was extremely bad.

[Quoted] No reason I know why you couldn't do what you wrote above. But perhaps you have [Quoted] forgotten the original post. Let me quote it again here.

[Quoted] "not knowing that much about oracle, is it possible to create a file in excel or [Quoted] [Quoted] access and put it into oracle through odbc?"

The person posting made specific reference to Excell and Access ... not VB. He also said:

[Quoted] [Quoted] "I need a quick oracle database to test an app..."

I would hardly call your solution quick. Would you?

[Quoted] Then he concluded: "else, I need a way of importing a simle file into oracle"

Seems to me it would be substantially easier to run SQL*Loader than to start banging out VB in Excell.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:56:09 CEST

Original text of this message