Re: unable to connect to DB from DEV2000

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:53:45 GMT

In article <3b2c9dc4_2_at_news2.vip.uk.com>, "michael.cooke" says...

>Have just installed Oracle 8.1.7 onto NT4.0 sp4 and am unable to connect to
>it from Developer 2000 [forms 4.5 reports2.5]. I installed Dev 2000 first
>due to its trying to use same oracle home as 8i if that installed first.
>With Oracle 7.3.3 both were had same home and worked immediately.
>I get an error 'no interface driver installed' . I believe it to be a
>problem in TNSnames and/or listener or even registry entry.
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Mick

you need to use sqlnet to go from one to the other. they use different versions of database software.

See
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:447620106871

for some details. in a nutshell, you'll setup and configure the listener.ora for the SERVER and startup your listener. you'll setup and configure the tnsnames.ora in the D2k oracle home and then use user/password_at_database to connect.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/