Re: Looking for tools that is better than sqlplus.. please help

From: Brian Peasey <bpeasey_at_------excite.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:54:06 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] "Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3B2D46B2.4F014423_at_exesolutions.com...

> But I'd like to urge you to forget it and learn SQL*Plus. The fact is that
> if you don't know SQL*Plus and know how to do everything in it you are
 very
> close to unemployable ... at least in any shop where I've ever been. The
> GUIs are not just pretty ... they don't just hide the command line ...
 they
> hide the commands and the learning.
>
> After six to twelve months ... then ask the question again. Looking back
> you'll be glad you did.

[Quoted] Hi Daniel,

I'm using SQL/PLUS in my current job as a PowerBuilder programmer. We recently switched databases from Sybase to Oracle8i. Our product is for the Windows market. Last month I purchased "SQL/Plus the Definitive Guide" and have learned alot really usefull stuff, way beyond just editing SQL statements.

Here's my 2 questions:

  1. Any idea what percentage of Oracle databases are installed on Windows(as opposed to Unix)?
  2. If I change to a Unix shop w/Oracle will I need to know the SQL/PLUS line edit commands(Up till now I've skipped them and use notepad as my editor.)?

Thanks for you help Daniel.

Brian Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:54:06 CEST

Original text of this message