Oracle jdbc thin vs. oci tech questions

From: md2100 <markd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:12:20 GMT

[Quoted] I've had success using both oci and thin jdbc drivers to connect to remote Oracle databases. I cannot however use the thin driver to connect to a local (Personal Oracle 8i) db. I understand the fact that oci uses client-side libraries whereas the thin version is pure Java and connects using Java sockets. There are some issues I'm still unclear on though. Can someone help with these questions:

(a) Why does the thin driver require a fully qualified URL in the
connect string (eg: jdbc:oracle:thin:abc.efg.com:1521:_at_dbname) vs. the oci string (jdbc:oracle:oci:_at_dbname)? Is it because there's no local name resolution? If that's the case, is there any way to use Oracle name server to resolve the database name using the thin driver vs. having to have a fully qualified name hardcoded? Every example I've found of thin driver usage has the host and port hardcoded.

[Quoted] (b) Is the thin driver Java bytecode actually downloaded/used from the
server in a Java application (vs. applet) or is it using the local-application's version of Oracle Java class library, eg. classes12.zip?

[Quoted] (c) Any idea why I can't connect to my Personal Oracle with the thin
driver? I've set up the Net8 listener to 127.0.0.1 with port 1521 and used that as the address in the connect to no avai - I've also tried 'localhost'. In any case, I get the exception:  Connection refused
(DESCRIPTION=(TMP=)(VSNNUM=135294976)(ERR=12505)(ERROR_STACK=(ERROR=(CODE=12505)(EMFI=4)))))
I'm pretty much a newbie to the technical issues of this, so thanks in advance to help on any of these questions. Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:12:20 CEST

Original text of this message