Re: Oracle Reports vs. Crystal Reports

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:49:23 GMT

[Quoted] <answers interspersed below>

Todd Rubel wrote:

> I have a good amount of experience with Crystal Reports and zero
> experience with Oracle Reports. My boss has asked me specific
> questions regarding both packages and I thought that maybe you
> guys/girls could help. If anyone can compare the 2 with the following
> questions, I will be forever grateful. Thanks.
>
> 1. What is in Oracle Reports that is not in Crystal?

The ability to write SQL. Which means the ability to run any query that can be validly written in SQL and PL/SQL. And that is a huge advantage.

In addition Oracle Reports has before and after triggers that can call stored procedures in the database to stage data whereas Crystal can only call a procedure as a data source.

> 2. Does the Oracle Suite, once learned, make creation of reports
> easier than Crystal?

Yes. But equally importantly it makes creation of your resume easier.

Remember that whatever tool you know always seems easier and better than one you are learning. So expect some swearing and throwing of pointed objects during that transition phase.

> 3. Does the Oracle Suite allow for more flexibility in grouping and
> filtering on the fly than Crystal?

If you can do it ... you can do it in Oracle Reports. Either within the report itself or with code written into one of the triggers.

> 4. Does either suite allow for future development of reports off an
> OLAP database? And how?

The current version of Oracle Reports, R6i, has the ability to integrate with Oracle Express, Oracle's OLAP product. As I understand it will be discontinued I've little doubt the report tool will, in its next release, integrate with the same tool set built into the RDBMS. Right now, for example, Oracle, the database, has the ability to perform star joins.

> 5. Does Oracle require the developers suite for configurability?

I'm not sure what you mean. But I believe you can only purchase the Reports in the form of the Internet Development Suite. Not as a standalone.

> 6. Which tool is easier to use for trending if not automatic?

The one you know best.

> 7. What is the learning curve of Oracle Reports?

The reports side will take you a week or two, at most, excluding writing triggers and backend procedures. What you will find is that some of the wizards built into Crystal are not present in Reports because Reports assumes you want to flexibility, speed, and power of writing your own.

> 8. What do larger databases usually use for a reporting tool?

Oracle Reports or Discoverer if the RDBMS is Oracle. Otherwise I have seen Crystal, Cognos, and Brio.

> 9. Which is better in dealing with complex queries?

The one you know best. But there are definitely things you can do in Oracle Reports you can not do in Crystal.

> 10. For basically the same report/query, which reporting tool would be
> faster?

Depends on the query. But speed of the reporting tool is far less an issue than is speed of the database and network.

> Thanks again folks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Todd M. Rubel
> Wellesley, MA

To be blunt ... think of your resume. Developers that know Crystal make 1/2 of what developers that know Oracle Reports can make in my part of the world.

My pleasure.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:49:23 CEST

Original text of this message