Re: diff bewteen 8i and 9i?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:46:41 GMT

Well, I finally got my hands on the new material for the 'New Features in 9i' course. A mere 17 chapters long.

Key new features for me are the ability to re-size the SGA without having to bounce the Instance; automatic creation of tablespaces (ie, you don't need to specify a 'datafile' clause, Oracle does it for you -and removes files from the hard disk when appropriate); no more need to create any rollback segments for yourself, or to worry about sizing them appropriately; multiple block sizes; resumable DML and DDL (ie, running out of space won't terminate your 1,000,000 row insert, and adding more space will make the load pick up from where it left off); gathering statistics on tables no longer invalidates existing execution plans; a new partitioning method (List Partitioning) where rows get stored if their key value is "in" a supplied list of values, rather than the existing 'less than' test; ability to define a SQL Loader source file as an external table without actually having to load it into Oracle; time zone information; DDL Statement support in Log Miner; and block-level media recovery using RMAN.

[Quoted] Mmmm. Enough there to keep me busy for a while, I guess.

Regards
HJR

--
=============================!!=============================
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle

"Randall Roberts" <randall_at_filer.org.nospam> wrote in message

> I didn't get the top of this thread. I hope the original poster finds it.
>
> If you go to www.laoug.org and find the speaker presentation library you
> will find two powerpoint presentations on 9i that were given by David
Austin
> of Oracle Corp. at the last L.A. Oracle Users' Group conference. Mr.
Austin
> began his presentations by saying that the changes are so extensive the
"New
> Features" course will be a 5 day class, so his two presentations are a
very
> high level overview. This is the first pre-release information I've seen
on
> 9i and the changes are *at least* as extensive as those from 7.x to 8.0.
>
> Best!
>
> Randall
>
> Jason <jason_at_spinavenue.com> wrote in message
> > Great answer Mark!
> >
> > Our Oracle sales rep dropped by the other day and didnt come close
> > to the clarity that your answer had !!!
> >
> > As far as the snobbish posting that the Bakker guy posted... saying
> > to Eric's original post that people shouldnt post such questions but
> > rather should research the Oracle website thoroughly. Thats just a
> > snobbish and arrogant reply from somebody who was probably having a
> > a bad day.
> >
> > Thats like saying that every "newbie" posting to the group should be
> > flamed and burned at the stake. Hell, our Oracle rep couldnt even gives
> > us a good answer on the Oracle 8i /9i stuff we quizzed her own.
> >
> > So again... good answer. Might even it pass it along to our Oracle
> > rep :)
> >
> > To the bakker guy... calm down!!! If you dont have anything good to
> > say or contribute to help somebody needing some help... just dont
> > post anything at all!
> >
> > -jason
> >

> > Mark Townsend wrote in message ...
> > >in article 9eoosp$c6l$1_at_m2wpersoisp01.wanadoo.es, Ca at
carpet_at_wanadoo.es

Does 9i

> > >Carsten and Eric - it is a little confusing. Anyhow, here's the skinny.
> > >
> > >Oracle9i is now a generic term for the infrastructure Oracle provides
you to
> > >run your applications on. It consists of two products - an appliction
server
> > >and a database. Currently, Oracle9i consists of the Oracle9i
Application
> > >Server (aka iAS), and the Oracle8i database (aka Oracle8i). In about a
week
> > >or two, Oracle9i will consist of the Oracle9i Application Server, and
the
> > >next release of the Oracle8i database, called the Oracle9i Database.
> > >
> > >So you put your data in the back-end database (Oracle8i Database or
Oracle9i