Re: Profiler tool

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:45:06 GMT

Steffen Ramlow wrote:

> i have heard that somewhere in our world people exist, which know oracle
> and sql server
>
> ok, here it comes:
>
> sql server profiler is a tool which allows to monitor all statements send to
> the server
> the profiler has many filtering capabilities and a rich and handy gui
>
> maybe i'm looking for a gui for oracle trace and audit
>
> "Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message

> > > What exactly does the SQL Server Profile do, and what platform are you
> > > running?
> >
> > Excellent questions. Steffen joins a long list of other SQL Server types
> > that somehow figure that SQL Server may have capabilities not present in
> > far superior databases and who assumes that because it is a Microsoft
> > product we should either know, or care, about it.
> >
> > Perhaps we will learn something about SQL Server ... and he will learn
> > something about Oracle.
> >
> > Daniel A. Morgan

[Quoted] [Quoted] There are people that claim to know both products. But I've yet to meet one [Quoted] [Quoted] whose knowledge of Oracle wasn't superficial. Meaning they could hack around but [Quoted] couldn't do anything that couldn't use a rewrite. (to whom it may concern: if [Quoted] [Quoted] you are the one and only exception to the rule please don't waste either of our [Quoted] times telling me so because I haven't met you).

[Quoted] [Quoted] Oracle does not provide a tool of this type with a GUI interface but does provide the data as part of the data dictionary which can be queried by any [Quoted] query tool. Perform the following query:

SELECT object_name
FROM dba_objects
[Quoted] WHERE object_name LIKE '%SQL%';

[Quoted] you will find a number of resources.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:45:06 CEST

Original text of this message