Re: jdeveloper application sample

From: Phil Haigh <phil.haigh_at_fwpharma.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:42:49 GMT

Rogier Schoenmakers wrote in message <3B0BDFD4.F2C091FC_at_xilinx.com>...
>Hi all,
>
>I'm currently evaluating JDeveloper with my development team. Could
>anyone tell me where I could find a (sample) application developed with
>JDeveloper, so I know the kinds of application that are possible with
>JDeveloper? And maybe how much effort and knowledge is needed to use
>JDeveloper?
>
>What are the drawbacks, and what are the advantages of JDeveloper?

I can't point you to any sample applications. However I can give you some pro's and con's as I'm currently using JDeveloper for JSPs (Java Stored Procedures). Later on I'll also be working with JavaBeans, EJB's and Sevlets.

Pro's:

    Of the IDE's I've used (Visual C++, Oracle Developer, JDeveloper) it's definitely one of the better ones. Easy to get round. Very easy to build and deploy in it.

    Nice editor - particularly it's interaction with JavaBeans (i.e. visual components) and the ability to switch between visual and code view.

    If you're going to be working exclusively with Oracle databases then it's probably the tool of choice as it's highly integrated.

Con's:

    The IDE only runs on NT4 or W2K. This has caused my company to start a W2K rollout.

    The IDE is based on an early version of the Borland tool. It's written in a mixture of three or more languages and even at version 3.2.2 is not totally stable. Saying that I've only had one problem with this version in the four months I've been using it.

    Like all IDE's, you need as much screen area as you can get your hands on.

On the whole yes, I've only used one Java IDE and I've not worked it *really* hard yet but it's worth a look. Particularly if, like my company, you have an unlimited licence. Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:42:49 CEST

Original text of this message