Re: How to Import/Export Data To-From Oracle 8i Tables

From: Randall Roberts <randall_at_filer.org.nospam>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:43:45 GMT

Ray;

[Quoted] As you've noticed, Oracle import and export are not what one normally thinks of as imports and exports. They use a proprietary format. And as I guess you've also noticed, SQL*Loader only goes into the database, not out.

I see your question come up frequently and the answer always seems to come around to this; write a select statement that embeds the commas, tabs, or whatever and spool it to a text file.

SPOOL comafile.txt

SELECT col1 || ',' || col2 || ',' || col3... FROM table

SPOOL off

I first spool a DESC table to a text file so that I have all the column names to edit down into my select. But the short answer to your question is, no I don't know of a third party tool that just takes the table name and will do it for you.

Best!

Randall