Re: BLOBs and Ansi Dynamic SQL FETCH coredumps in Pro/C

From: Olek <alpli_at_polbox.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:41:57 GMT

Hi!
I have similar problem. I'm trying update and read data from CLOB column in same way and I have core dump after fetch. I have no idea what to do to resolve this problem.
I wasn't able to find any useful information about this problem even on

"metalink.oracle.com". Attempt to connect to metalink article
"ANSI Dynamic SQL Method Supporting LOBS" ended with
"MetaLink V2 - Error Message

Note entry 118565.1.cannot be displayed. Possible reasons are: The article is not classified as publicly accessible ("non-public") The article's content is being updated and it is temporarily unavailable but will be made available again soon.
The article has been deleted from this serve r. The article number does not exist (it was referenced incorrectly)."

I'm affraid I have to use OCI calls.

Aleksander Plinski

> The Oracle documentation for Pro/C in 8i claims that all Oracle data types
 are
> supported with Ansi Dynamic SQL.
>
> However, I find this doesn't seem to work on the Solaris platform (haven't
 tried
> anything else) when fetching columns of the BLOB type (code = -113). The
 first
> FETCH of a row containing such a column causes a core dump (Bus Error) if
> don't SET the descriptor data type for that column to a non-BLOB data
 type. If
> I do SET the descriptor to a different data type, the FETCH doesn't
 coredump any
> more, but fails with an Oracle error about incompatible data types.
 Either way