Re: Connection dropped on long remote DB link

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 18:43:44 +0200

"GREGORY KNESER" <gregoryk_at_futures.wharton.upenn.edu> wrote in message news:9j45m4$5ph$1_at_netnews.upenn.edu...
> Hello,
> We are using a remote DB link to connect to a machine far far away in
> Nebraska and then performing a
>
> insert into localtable
> select * from remotetable
> where certainstuff = otherstuff
>
> query to get certain data from the remote machine locally to perform some
> analysis on it. The only problem is that our db link connections get
> dropped with some frequency requiring us to restart the transfer process.
>
> Also, the transfer process itself takes several hours (too long).
>
> Does anyone have advice on
> 1)What could be causing the DB link to get dropped or what to do to maket
> it more stable?
>
> and/or
>
> 2)What (cheap) method we could use to transport this data? Most ETL tools
> seem to be out of the range of this project since the import of this data
> is just a relatively small part of our whole process.
>
> Thanks!
> Greg

[Quoted] 1 a shitty network connection? Did you check the reliability of the network connection.
If not, try at least to use ping and traceroute (name is platform dependent, and you don't mention it) to check this out. [Quoted] 2 I would recommend using a dedicated line. The internet is simply too unreliable, and only one node has to run with a low bandwith to bring your connection to a crawl.
In the end a dedicated line will be cheaper.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Jul 18 2001 - 18:43:44 CEST

Original text of this message