PL/SQL vs PROC Performance Issue - Oracle 8.1.6

From: uunet <r_at_b.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:40:51 -0400

[Quoted] [Quoted] We have an AIX server running Oracle 8.1.6.

OS :          AIX 4.3.3 (64 bit)
Oracle:     8.1.6.2.0
# CPU's:   12      (450 MHz processors)
Memory:   40 GB  (RAM)
Oracle:      8.1.6.2.0

PL / SQL script does an UPDATE/COMMIT of 10,000 records in 2 Secs. PROC program doing the exact same UPDATE/COMMIT of 10,000 records takes [Quoted] 100 secs.

Question: Why is PROC 50 times slower than PL/SQL ?

On our Developer workstations, the PL/SQL to PROC performance ration is [Quoted] about 2-3.

Need help from the Oracle Gurus out there to identify the bottleneck w.r.t. PROC program.
System was 99% idle and these tests were run in stand alone mode.

Rath Received on Tue Jul 10 2001 - 18:40:51 CEST

Original text of this message