BLOBs and Ansi Dynamic SQL FETCH coredumps in Pro/C

From: Daniel R. Levy <drlevy_at_lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 02:18:52 -0500

The Oracle documentation for Pro/C in 8i claims that all Oracle data types are supported with Ansi Dynamic SQL.

However, I find this doesn't seem to work on the Solaris platform (haven't tried anything else) when fetching columns of the BLOB type (code = -113). The first FETCH of a row containing such a column causes a core dump (Bus Error) if I don't SET the descriptor data type for that column to a non-BLOB data type. If I do SET the descriptor to a different data type, the FETCH doesn't coredump any more, but fails with an Oracle error about incompatible data types. Either way I can't get my BLOB data with dynamic SQL.

Anyone have an answer which allows me to fetch multiple BLOB columns with one fetch of an arbitrary run-time SQL select statement?

Thanks in advance.....................