Re: OAS 9i stupid questions

From: John Alexander <jalexander_at_summitsoftwaredesign.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 23:16:17 GMT

I agree, that is a good book. But unless it has been updated, it may be too out-of-date to be of value in determining what options are available for configuring and designing a web app with iAS. The book is very heavy on the PL/SQL toolkit to build dynamic HTML, which doesn't seem to have caught on. Too bad, because it is fast (and fun) to write a web app with PL/SQL. The book doesn't really address the other methods for building a web app (JSPs, servlets, etc) based on an Oracle database. But having said that book is out-of-date, I can't think of an alternative that is current and gives a good overview of iAS.... In the meantime, I've stopped using anything that is proprietary for any app server and am using pure JSP, since I think the jury is still out on iAS. Oracle has a history of releasing products, and then quietly dropping them if they don't catch on.

John Alexander
www.summitsoftwaredesign.com
St. Petersburg, FL

Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net> wrote in message news:WejN6.2106$gA.717543_at_monger.newsread.com...
> You need some basic facts. There is a good O'Reilly book called Oracle
 Web