Re: Help with Rollback Segment Cannot be Extended workaround.

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 00:50:37 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> If this is truly a one-off, and you don't care about the ability to
> rollback, then you can employ a hidden parameter which switches off rollback
> generation for the duration of the instance.
>
> I haven't a clue what other side effects it might produce, and I don't vouch
> for the stability of your database whilst you do it. It's totally
> unsupported by Oracle, and you are ENTIRELY ON YOUR OWN!!!
>
> (Have I scared you enough yet? I should have... take this step only if you
> have a bloody good backup)
>
> In your init.ora, enter the following line:
> _discrete_transactions_enabled=TRUE. Then bounce your Instance.
>
> That switches off all rollback activity on the entire database.
>
> Regards
> HJR
>
> --
> =============================!!=============================
> The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle
> Corporation
> =============================!!=============================
>
> "Anon" <empty_at_noone.com> wrote in message
> > I have a large script to run that updates data in many rows. I get
> > the error that the rollback segment cannot be exteneded.
> > Does anyone know how to get around this?
> > Is there a way to have the changes comitted automatically so no
> > rollback segment is needed?
> >
> > The easy way would be to make the rollback segments auto-extend to an
> > unlimited size. I am at a customers site and making changes to the
> > production system is very difficult and I only need it for this one
> > operation.
> > Oracle seems to be running OK with no problems. I just need to make
> > this one-time data conversion and I will be finished. I am curently
> > running the script from Sql Plus and the database is Oracle 8.0.5.
> >
> > Don

Glad you scared him and hopefully others. It is a parameter that solves an easily rectified problem by creating a potential disaster.

Sort of like treating a splinter by amputation.

But you are correct ... it will perform the amputation.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat May 19 2001 - 09:50:37 CEST

Original text of this message