Re: DDL export

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 22:28:44 GMT

christopher keller wrote:

> Hello,
> In UDB I can with one command generate a readable text file of DDL
> (along with triggers, etc.) for a database, which I can then easily
> manipulate and store it in a non-Oracle repository (with DB2 mainframe
> we'd just read the catalog with SQL if we didn't have a tool).
>
> My DBA for Oracle claims that this is not possible, he's come up with
> nothing better than an export file. Working this over is just too
> costly. Surely, this problem is easily solved with Oracle means.
> Could someone point me in the right direction? Or is the right
> direction away from Oracle to another RDBMS?
>
> TIA, Christopher Keller

Several books on the market include a CDROM containing a set of scripts for re-generating all of the objects in the database. These vary upon the version of the database that is supported, and the various object_types supported.

2 that come to mind, are Oracle Annotated Archives and Oracle Scripts. I've heard that an updated version of the Annotated Archives is due out soon.

Other versions of such re-creation scripts are floating about ... your DBA isn't digging deep enough.

hth,

Paul Received on Sun May 13 2001 - 00:28:44 CEST

Original text of this message