Re: Looking for alternatives to Oracle Reports 6

From: Dave Fowler <d.fowler_at_smmj.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 17:56:46 GMT

Mammoth,
  The first statement about Crystal, I wouldn't recommed it (we looked at it and rejected it for a number of reasons). I had used it in the past. It's been problematic and it's which release of the DAY are you running. It may work fine with MS solutions. Is Crystal the recommendation of a programmer (was this the tool he used before scenerio).??

Oracle Reports is used in house by our staff without any formal training only famaliar with Sybase/Powersoft Infomaker for reporting. A bit of small learning curve for them (OJT) now very comfortable with the Reports 6i.

Field Justification issue does occur on some fields under certain condtions. Learning the grouping and how to use it.

The template is getting changed? What are you saving over it?

Wywswig statement is not true. Our only wsywig problem is when creating a PDF output file needing to print it once.

The comment about moving a pixel and eating memory? is not true. We run MSOffice /outlook with Reports fine on MS win98 first edition. What else is your developer running at the sametime which may be the problem.?

I wouldn't assume the training implies knowledge. Maybe the developer isn't completely familiar / doesn't want to learn / or just wants to go back to what he's done before.

Simple reports should be a piece of cake with this use the wizard.

When you want a complex report that the next tool can't do good, then what? We saw this with Infomaker. The programmer will have already forgotten how to use Reports.

Bite the bullet and learn the tool it will pay off in the long run.

hth.

"mammoth.usenet-access.com" <x_at_x> wrote in message news:3af47f9d_4_at_Newsfeeds.com...
> If I see how much time my programmers loose making simple adaptations to a
> report, then I am quiet surprised. My programmers have followed all
 courses
> on reports they can follow, so there should no be lack of knowledge.
 Anyways