Re: heterogeneous join

From: Guy <guy_at_atomikos.com>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 14:51:12 GMT

"Mark A. Richman" schrieb:

> How do I set up a heterogeneous join? That is, query multiple databases
> simultaneously using a join clause? Is this possible via JDBC?
>
> Thanks.

IMHO: not very likely; it would require complex processing such as parsing SQL and merging the results from both databases. All this would have to be done in the JDBC layer, which would almost make it a full-grown database in itself.

Of course, if you can establish a transparent 'view' of the distributed database system ( such as Oracle's link facilily ), then to JDBC it looks the same as connecting to only one database ( the one that has all the links and mappings ). In that case, your scheme could work.

Best regards,

Guy

--
Guy Pardon