Re: standby database and nologging DDL

From: ff <cfs3526_at_ureach.com>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 22:25:59 GMT

Dear Mr. Bakker,
Thank you very much for your help. I am really moved that you spent so much time to answer our questions without any pay.

I did find the answer on oracle site. But I still have question. Oracle suggested 9 steps
starting from

1)Determine which datafiles should be copied.

Issue the following query in the primary database:

SQL> SELECT name, unrecoverable_change# FROM v$datafile;

NAME                                                     UNRECOVERA
-------------------------------------------------------- ----------

/vobs/oracle/dbs/tbs_1.f 5216
/vobs/oracle/dbs/tbs_2.f 0
/vobs/oracle/dbs/tbs_3.f 0
/vobs/oracle/dbs/tbs_4.f 0
4 rows selected.

Issue the following query in the standby database:

SQL> SELECT name, unrecoverable_change# FROM v$datafile;

NAME                                                     UNRECOVERA
-------------------------------------------------------- ----------

/vobs/oracle/dbs/stdby/tbs_1.f 5186
/vobs/oracle/dbs/stdby/tbs_2.f 0
/vobs/oracle/dbs/stdby/tbs_3.f 0
/vobs/oracle/dbs/stdby/tbs_4.f 0
4 rows selected.

Compare the value of the unrecoverable_change# column in both query results. If the value of the unrecoverable_change# column in the primary database is greater than the same column in the standby database, then the datafile needs to be copied from the primary site to the standby site.

On the primary site, hot_back up the datafile that you need to copy to the standby site as follows:

Create a new standby database control file.

Shut down the standby database.

In the standby database, issue the following statement:

Copy the datafile and the standby database control file from the primary site to the standby site as follows:

Start the standby database instance without mounting the database:

Mount the standby database:

The problem is, when I need to activate the standby database, the production database is not available. Does it mean that every time a user issue a nologging DDL, I have to recreate the standby database? Which is impossible. Could you give me more help?

Thanks Received on Sun May 06 2001 - 00:25:59 CEST

Original text of this message