Re: Looking for alternatives to Oracle Reports 6

From: mammoth.usenet-access.com <x_at_x>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 00:50:57 +0200

[Quoted] [Quoted] If I see how much time my programmers loose making simple adaptations to a report, then I am quiet surprised. My programmers have followed all courses on reports they can follow, so there should no be lack of knowledge. Anyways [Quoted] they have no problems with forms, developer, designer, pl/sql or other products, only reports.
Some things that really disturb me are : -) The Wysiwig does not work correctly. The preview doesn't show what you will get on paper. So, you first have to print to see what you will get. -) One can use a template, but only once. If you choose the template, then you can start changing all reports and not only recompiling, but really changing.

-) Things like justification don't work properly.
-) Reports is not intuitive at all.
-) Report is a memory consumer. Moving an item one pixel and 200k of memory
[Quoted] is lost and is never regained.

I am sure that choosing another product will mean less integration. But we don't have any complicated reports. No matrix-reports or so, we just want to [Quoted] print simple things like contracts via the client, with the only [Quoted] complication that we want documents printed in 3 languages. So ease of lay-out and use is very important and that is what reports doesn't offer.

Dirk Verschueren