Transaction isolation / locking

From: (wrong string) é Laursen <rene_at_ssv.dk>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 17:13:18 +0200

Quote from Oracle SQL Ref:
[Quoted] "READ COMMITTED is the default Oracle transaction behavior. If the transaction contains DML that requires row locks held by another transaction, then the DML statement waits until the row locks are released."

[Quoted] Doesn't this lead to deadlock-situations ?

What do I do If I want to reject a DML-statement if there is an uncommitted update on the same row(s) .
[Quoted] ( I think this is called Read Committed/No Wait in Interbase)

I want to create a function which checks if it is possible to start an exclusive update of some row(s), i.e. I want the function to refuse the update if another user is in the process of doing this on the same row(s). (A kind of pessimistic locking actually). How can I do this ?

René Laursen Received on Thu May 03 2001 - 17:13:18 CEST

Original text of this message