Re: Where to Start?

From: Dave Fowler <d.fowler_at_smmj.com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 13:47:52 GMT

Doing these mentioned items will/should impress the management that you are a self starter and want to work in Oracle. You will also find out if that is really what you want to do before trying for the position. All of these are excellent advise.

If you are more of a designer/developer of applications this background will go along way if you then learn the development tools for Oracle.

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3AECF989.F123DC89_at_telusplanet.net...
> Also, I suggest reading a lot. Join technet (http://technet.oracle.com),
 read
> the discussion groups, read the docco, read the stuff in Oracle Press,
 read
> whatever.
>
> I personally recommend getting 'Oracle Essentials' - O'Reilly by
> Greenwald/Stackowiak/Stern - ISBN 1-56592-708-7 as a good all around
 jumpstart
> in archtecture, etc. There are many, many other good books around as
 well,
> (check out those by Loney).
>
> Unfortunately, significant %$ of questions in these forums are result of
 people
> not having read 'the' (or any) manual. So, the more you read - and
 experience
> - the more you'll have the jump from a technical side.
>
> That said, study the job requirements (political and social as well as
 technical
> - not just those posted). You may need to work on non-tech areas as well.
>
> /Hans
>
> Van Messner wrote:
>
> > Since you have nine months, in addition to the above I'd suggest buying
> > Oracle for $50 on a trial license and installing it on a home or work
> > computer. You'll learn a lot just trying to get it installed and
 running.
> > Afterwards you'll have a database to try out some of the things you'll
 be
> > reading about.
> >
> > Van
> >
> > "Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > > Great advice. I hope he takes it.
> > >
> > > Daniel A. Morgan

 general
 and