Re: Oracle 8i

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 02 May 2001 06:22:21 -0700

I didn't see the original post, so I'm going to respond to this one.

Peter Sylvester <peters_at_mitre.org> writes:

> FYI, the newer buffering schemes in Pro*C pretty much make the coding of
> array binding stuff obsolete. Very similar throuputs in tests I did a
> while back.
>
> -Peter
>
> Johan Wegener wrote:
> >
> > Couldn't help correcting these common misunderstandings:
> >
> > > 1) OCI is the native C library for Oracle
> >
> > No, the native C library is called UPI/OPI, OCI is a user API that calls
> > UPI/OPI
UPI is not application interface per se. It is an internal interface called by OCI. One should NEVER attempt to call UPI directly. OPI does not exist on the client side at all.

> > > 2) Pro*C is the precompiler that takes 'native SQL' and turns it into OCI
> >
> > No, Pro*C makes calls to UPI/OPI through a library called SQLLIB.
True.

--
                                Thanks,
                                Rick

     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.