Re: Challenge: Rename a database

From: Dave Weeks <dweeks_at_nospam.gnseurope.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 13:01:16 +0100

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:tejnn5h70ddv3c_at_beta-news.demon.nl...

> "John Skyner" <jskyner_at_jtc-computing.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > The scenario is this:
> >
> > I have a production database (8.0.6), running on an RS/6000 SP node (AIX
> > 4.3.3), which needs to be cloned on another (development) server.
> >
> > Before I start the database, I need to rename it.
> >

> You into svrmgrl
> and connect as internal
> Now issue the following command
> alter database backup controlfile to trace;
>
> You now will have a new trace file in your user_dump_dest directory.
> (If you don't know which directory that is, type
> show parameter user_dump_dest)
> shell out of svrmgrl by typing !
> edit the tracefile you can find with an ls
> It will read
> create controlfile database <databasename>
> etc.
> change that in
> create controlfile *set* database <new databasename>
> leaving the rest unchanged.
> Shut the database
> edit the init<sid>.ora (in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs)
> and change the db_name parameter
> Now restart svrmgrl
> and connect internal
> run the tracefile by
> _at_<tracefilename> or whatever name you gave it.

Hello,

Having read lots of these step-by-steps (e.g. http://www.isrv.com/~jhunter/data/DBA_tips/DBAtip_AUG_2000.shtml ) I have these 3 questions:

    [Quoted]
  1. Why use svrmgr in versions 8+ (use sqlplus for habit forming) as it shouldn't make a difference to the end result, right?
  2. Do you also need to edit the 'create controlfile' line from NORESETLOGS to RESETLOGS? [Quoted]
  3. What's the command to startup a second instance on the same machine without getting an error about the first instance already being there (using [Quoted] a different SID + database name of course).

Thanks in advance,

    Dave Weeks. Received on Mon Apr 30 2001 - 14:01:16 CEST

Original text of this message