Re: migration forms 3.0 to forms 4.5

From: Peter L <news_at_abc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:41:25 GMT

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 08:44:25 GMT, "Car 95" <a.frascella_at_libero.it> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>j have to migrate 353 forms in 3.0 version to 4.5 version. Are There some
>automatic tools that can help me in this task.
>In forms 4.5 are there the tool that do it, but how much time i need with
>this tools?
>
>another question: wht is the difference from report "rpt" and report "rex".
>I think that they are written with two different tools (SQL*report,
>SQLreport writer) but j hven't know the differences.
>Thanx lot.

It's a while since I had to deal with Forms/Reports/Reportwriter so my memory may be patchy on some of this.

There are a number of tools that convert Forms 3 to Forms 4.5. The only name I can remember is GUI Convertor. From what I've heard of these tools the resulting code is very difficult to maintain.

The 'rex' file is a dump of a Report, or Reportwriter, from the tables when the program has been stored in the database. I think the 'rpt' is the executable. In Reports you can have a 'rep' file that acts as source code as well as a platform independent executable. Received on Thu Apr 26 2001 - 22:41:25 CEST

Original text of this message