Re: Upgradeing to 8.1.7 what about designer/repository

From: Andy Hardy <newsmar01_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:39:50 +0100

[Quoted] In article <9c6njc$7am4$1_at_news3.infoave.net>, Chris Boyle <cboyle_at_no.spam.hargray.com> writes
>Current 8.1.6 Designer 6.0 Compaq TRUE-64 server NT4 SP6 workstations
>
>We are planning to upgrade our production databases to 8.1.7 before the
>rollout of a large new application. Can anyone tell me if we will have to
>update Designer, Developer and the repository? The only thing I could find
>on TechNet stated the only versions 6i are supported by 8.1.7 but it was in
>one of the forums and not the official documentation. If we have to push
>new versions of these tools out to all the users we would want to do it
>before the release of the new application but we don't want to do it if it
>is not required.
>
>Also I would like to hear from anyone with opinions about how robust and
>usable 6i actually is. The only thing I have heard so far is that it is
>slower due to being 100% java. Is this correct? Is there much of a
>learning curve between the two versions? Will training be required or will
>a competent programmer be able to learn it as they go?
>
>Thanks for all the help
>
>Chris

I've tried 6i (both releases) on our Solaris 8.1.6 box and had problems - the most obvious being that when doing DDT's against entities the resulting table columns had no datatypes.

Tried following this up through a TAR, didn't get anywhere - unable to reproduce at Oracles end.

They finally mentioned that Designer wasn't certified on 64-bit databases. I tried a test repository on an NT box and everything worked as expected.

I'm not sure what my conclusion is, I keep meaning to transfer the NT repository to the Solaris box to see if it's a problem generated during the install. I'd even consider getting hold of a 32-bit Oracle version for Solaris and giving that a whirl.

I assume that you had no problems with Designer 6 on your 64-bit database (or were you running a 32-bit database?) ?.

Andy

--
Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849