Re: Oracle 8i for NT work with FAT ?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:36:44 +0100

"Andrey" <aakit_at_softhome.net> wrote in message news:9br9hs$2k3n$1_at_josh.sovintel.ru...
> It's full rubbish
>
> FAT is much faster
>
> NTFS is for file servers, not db servers

What a reasoned argument!

[Quoted] How much faster is FAT? Especially given MS stance that NTFS5 is faster than FAT. [Quoted] Further more if I have > 8GB file size for my partitions, which seems a reasonable size for current apps / disk capacities etc and it resides on FAT [Quoted] then the Oracle block size will be at least 16K. If the partition size is > 32GB then I'll be using 32K oracle blocks. These may or may not be sensible [Quoted] choices , but at least using NTFS gives you choice of block size.

I'd also forgotten that NTFS5 at last gives you mount points ala Unix making [Quoted] administration somewhat easier.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA