Distant sites / SQL Net

From: Yannick Kermabon <y.kermabon_at_tegelog.fr>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:47:27 GMT

Hi

[Quoted] I'd like to know if it's necessary to use particular parameters when you have distant sites, connected to a central server with ISDN modems and routers.

[Quoted] I currently have a client who use client-server configuration. Local workstations work without problem but distant workstation have frequent messages like ORA-12571 : tns packet failure or ORA-03114 not connected to Oracle.

I suppose that the networking is responsible of that.

[Quoted] Server run Novel Netware 4.2 and 7.3.2 Database. Clients use 7.3.4 Oracle client part, under Windows 9X.

Thanx for any help.
Y. Kermabon

Tnsnames client :
BASE.CLIENT =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = TCP.CLIENT)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = 7.0.0.9)
(Port = 1526)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = BASE)
         (GLOBAL_NAME = BASE.CLIENT)

    )
  )

Listener server :

USE_PLUG_AND_PLAY_LISTENER = OFF
USE_CKPFILE_LISTENER = OFF
LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = TCP.CLIENT)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = 7.0.0.9)
(Port = 1526)
)

  )
STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = OFF
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
[Quoted]       (GLOBAL_DBNAME = BASE.CLIENT)
      (SID_NAME = BASE)
      (ORACLE_HOME = vol01:\ORANW732)
      (PRESPAWN_MAX = 10)

    )