Re: tool to import flat file into table but not sql loader

From: bonminh Lam <no_spam_at_bmlam.de>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 16:02:07 +0200

Thanks for the replies so far. When asking for a tool as I described, I have two things in mind:

  1. For people whom you can not assume that she or he can type in commands like "sqlloader user_at_connect_string parfile=c:\my_dir\sql_loader_ctl1.ctl" and actually put in the datafile name into the control file itself. I use SQL loader occasionally, but trust me I usually need a couple of tries to get the control file working after I have found and looked up the online documentaion. In best case it takes probably 15 minutes. I think you get the idea how SQL loader is awfully user-friendly to a non IT person.
  2. The line command version based on the "simple" header file is for people who know what they are doing - like myself :-) - and for whom it is still a hussle to do the stuff I described in 1.

I personally have no experience with Access but it may be an option for the non IT persons provided that it works within certain prerequisites. I would not give a tool like TOAD to an IT layman, however. For lazy people like me but who prefer to work with command lines (Situation 2) I guess there is nothing existing currently. Andrew, where can I find that ORAXCEL that you mentioned? Received on Sun Apr 22 2001 - 16:02:07 CEST

Original text of this message