tool to import flat file into table but not sql loader

From: bonminh Lam <no_spam_at_bmlam.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:18:53 +0200

[Quoted] [Quoted] Hi, I wonder if there are freeware or commercial tools that just do something pretty simple: suppose you get a flat file with with values for n columns like:

A	134     2001.04.04
BDF	1334    2001.04.03
BDA     234     2001.03.30

And know you want to insert the rows into a table called T1 which has columns c1, c2, c3

And suppose you set up a control file which says field 1 in the file corresponds to C3, field 2 to C1 and so on. The control file also says the table name is T1 and the instance is ORCL. It would also say what are the field separators - in the example above, they are simple tabs.

I have chosen this example with abstract table and column names because they just represent one of many real life requirements. All I want to achieve with these two files - the flat file and the control file - is to build insert statements for the target tables and insert the rows.

You see my point is, though SQL loader is a very powerful tool for loading data, it has a drawback in the sense that user has to be at least able to set up the loader control file which is not a trivial task and has to have knowledge of the table structure, i.e, data types of each column. The ideal tool I have in mind is much more limited in functionality but all the more simple to use: you just need to know your target table name the column name for your fields and the rest should be taken care of.

From there it would be a small step to have a GUI on top.

So I wonder what is already out there that is close to the sketched requirements and that is not an overkill (in terms of prices and functionality).

Thanks

--
To reply to me directly, please mail to: bmlam at online dot de