Re: Reverse engeneering : a way to get the DB shema

From: Tom Grenier <tom_at_sqlman.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:44:19 -0400

Sebastien,

[Quoted] This was one of my largest frustrations with Oracle (I am switching to Oracle but have primarily been an Informix person). Informix does this with the dbschema command -- it creates an actual DDL script, but I use it [Quoted] primarily as a DESCRIBE as I like to work with a paper description of the [Quoted] database (with more detail than DESCRIBE gives).

Anyway, I wrote a small procedure in PL/SQL to do this. It DOES NOT create [Quoted] [Quoted] an executable .sql file -- if this is what you need it won't do it. However, if you want a schema of the database that gives constraints, indexes etc. it may to the trick.

If you have any interest in it you can download it from my web site -- www.sqlman.com -- first item on the SQL Puzzles page. No guarantees that it works as it should -- I've tested on 8i on NT (appears to work fine) and [Quoted] 7 on Solaris (misses a lot of the constraints but otherwise seems to work fine).

[Quoted] Or feel free to use it as a starting point for what you need.

Tom