Re: Oracle Error Messages

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:23:01 +0200

<dennishancy_at_eaton.com> wrote in message news:9aidcl$42o$1_at_news.netmar.com...
> Can anyone suggest a source that explains Oracle error messages AND has
> hints
> as to what I might check in my SQL to resolve the problem?
>
> In the past, I have received messages like ORA-01861, but the brief
 message
> it
> provides does not give much information. It takes me hours.. days.. to
> determine where the problem is.
>
> The message I received today is
>
> ORA-01858: a non-numeric character was found where a numeric was expected
>
> How do I go about researching this so I can solve the problem?
>
> How can I at least find out which record it's choking on so I'd have a
> fighting chance of fixing whatever is wrong?
>
> Is there a book? A web site? ANYTHING that will speed up the process?
>

> Dennis Hancy
> Eaton Corporation
> Cleveland, OH

 eb -----
> http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+
 groups
> NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts
> made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email
abuse_at_newsone.net

This is an amazing question!

Don't you have access to the Oracle documentation? There is a separate manual (Oracle Server Messages) which explains it all in full!
Online at http://technet.oracle.com

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker. Oracle DBA Received on Fri Apr 06 2001 - 16:23:01 CEST

Original text of this message