Designer and Layout (was: Who Uses Designer? What do you think?)

From: Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 19:29:33 GMT

I think it's a great product (well, ever since rel 1.3).

I doubt anyone uses it to it's full potential (ever wondered what those flexfield preferences were for?)

About the layout: I would be inclined to say there is no screen generator that allows for full control of the layout. However, Designer does a good job if you are prepared to let functionality, flexibility, and a common look-and-feel prevale over layout (I realize this is harder and harder to sell to the public, due to some programs where looks are more important that functionality. Yes, that would be M$).

For those respondants with troubles generating the wished layout, some tips:
- use dummy views; base buttons on it, that you make hidden in pre-form,
or
  when-new-form instance trigger. You could also use char fields, but there
  are some sizing issues; buttons size better.   The PF or WNFI triggers can be coded in the template form
- use block tabulation tables, down to DTU level, and make sure they
overflow
  (else the tab table won't be used... (V2 and lower). Keep your (hidden)
  buttons in mind.

--
Gtrz,

Frank van Bortel