Re: import to another instance

From: Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 18:55:38 GMT

Alexander Welti wrote:

> my db was installed with charset we8iso8859p1, so I thought it
> was possible to create a second instance with the correct charset
> of the export file to import it to this second instance.
Possible, but you may loose some information due to characterset conversions

> my question: is this possible? And how do I tell imp to use the second
> instance and not the first one?
What environment are you on? For all environments, character based (so open
a dos-box if Win): set your environment!:

Prompt > set oracle_sid=sid_one
Prompt > exp system/manager file=.... log=... full=y ...
Prompt > set oracle_sid=sid_two
Prompt > imp system/stealthy_password_2 file=... log=... ...

> I tried to shut down my first instance and leave the second open, imp
> said oracle is not available.
 environment probably pointed to the first one (which you just shut down)

> Must the SID be the same as in the original database?
No.
--
Gtrz,

Frank van Bortel