Re: Visual Basic and Oracle

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 18:41:47 +0200

"H_H" <gucciard_at_Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote in message news:Pine.OSF.4.21.0103270844480.20561-100000_at_Bayou.UH.EDU...
> Hello,
>
> I am working as a software engineer, but I'd like to make a career change
> and go into the database field. Specifically, I'd like to eventually
> become an Oracle DBA.
>
> Considering that I don't have any working experience in databases,
> I was told that it would be hard for me to be hired as a DBA.
>
> I noticed many companies want to hire junior VB programmers.
> In your experience, do you think that a position as a Visual Basic (+ SQL
> Server or Access) programmer would help me get started, or do you think
> this would be a bad career choice/path to begin with?
>
> Do you think that, let's say, 2 years down the road, a company would want
> to offer me an Oracle-related job even though I have experience in
> Access and SQL Server as supposed to in Oracle?
>
> Also, what about Pro*C? Do you think it would be a good idea to get a
> job as a Pro*C programmer?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

I wouldn't definitely hire someone in something else other than a junior position who has sqlserver and access experience only, as I would need to have him brainwashed to get rid of all his bad sqlserver and access habits. Go for the real thing, Oracle interfaces nicely with VB using Oracle objects for Ole and a bunch of other tools. Acquiring sqlserver experience first is just wasting your time.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Tue Mar 27 2001 - 18:41:47 CEST

Original text of this message