Visual Basic and Oracle

From: H_H <gucciard_at_Bayou.UH.EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:46:59 -0600

Hello,

[Quoted] I am working as a software engineer, but I'd like to make a career change and go into the database field. Specifically, I'd like to eventually become an Oracle DBA.

Considering that I don't have any working experience in databases, I was told that it would be hard for me to be hired as a DBA.

I noticed many companies want to hire junior VB programmers. In your experience, do you think that a position as a Visual Basic (+ SQL Server or Access) programmer would help me get started, or do you think this would be a bad career choice/path to begin with?

Do you think that, let's say, 2 years down the road, a company would want to offer me an Oracle-related job even though I have experience in Access and SQL Server as supposed to in Oracle?

Also, what about Pro*C? Do you think it would be a good idea to get a job as a Pro*C programmer?

Thanks in advance for your help. Received on Tue Mar 27 2001 - 16:46:59 CEST

Original text of this message