Forms 6.0 master-detail relation question

From: Matt B. <mcb_at_ds.znet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:37:49 -0800

I have a co-worker that has a form and he's trying to work through a problem he's having with a master-detail relationship.

Envision a form with a master-detail situation of a PO header and PO lines, joined on PO_NUM. Relation is not deferred (deferred = no (false)) although I'm not sure that comes into play here because we aren't querying from the database in this example - we're entering new records.

We enter a new record in the header for PO_NUM 34186 and enter three (doesn't really matter how many) lines:

Block PO Block PO_LN

         ----34186

34186 ---|---34186

----34186

After entering the last line, you PREVIOUS BLOCK to the header again and do a KEY-NXTREC to move to a new header record in the block.

We begin entering a second PO header now (34187) but we have no lines entered yet.

When we go to the first detail line...:

  • X <----- User is here.

    34187 ---|---

...and the user hasn't done anything yet on that record, if we message out PO_LN.PO_NUM, it tells us that PO_LN.PO_NUM is still '34186' (from the previous PO header record).

At what point does Oracle Forms set the line's PO_LN.PO_NUM value based on the relation to the header? When the header record is validated? When the line record is validated (after it's entered by the user)?

Granted we also have some library code going on that might be tripping us up as well (haven't gotten that far yet in our investigation), but we're trying to understand at what point Oracle Forms sets the line record's PO_NUM (the relation condition) to the master records's PO_NUM.

Thanks,

Matt Received on Fri Mar 23 2001 - 04:37:49 CET

Original text of this message