Re: WebDB vs JDeveloper

From: Ted Knijff <knijff_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 07:07:43 GMT

[Quoted] IMHO you can't really compare the two so easily. If you want Java, then jDeveloper is the best bet. If you want to use PL/SQL for the WEB then WebDB.

We found that jDeveloper, and Java in general, is extremely work intensitive, and not suitable for quick (and dirty) applications. Also, with the current state of JDK and JRE releases, which often do not work together, crashes at runtime are quite common unless you are very careful to install *that* JRE on the server that you used in the development of the Java code with jDeveloper. In an Oracle only environment, that is quite easy, but in a server environment where you have many different Java packages from different suppliers, your classpath and runtimes can become a nightmare to manage.

WebDB is, in my opinion, a collection of PL/SQL packages and a Web-Schema that makes it very easy to put you existing Oracle data and PL/SQL code onto the Web.

I would be very interested in other opinions.

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:43:18 -0500, Blair Christie <blairc_at_nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I am just wondering about what are peoples opionions? Why would you use
>one tool over the other?
>
>Cheers,

EMail: knijff_at_bigfoot.com Received on Thu Mar 22 2001 - 08:07:43 CET

Original text of this message