Re: Cherokee ??

From: Wim Jans <wim_at_wimjans.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:22:07 +0100

Cherokee
Introduction
* Combination of Java and HTML: the best of both worlds

  • Break the HTML UI limitations
  • Cherokee is based on standards, standards and standards (JSP, Servlets, HTML, XML, CSS, Java, JavaScript, HTTP, HTTPS, ...)

Cherokee is an iRad tool to Easily Build, Highly Interactive HTML Transactional Components which can be Embedded into any JSP-Based Applications and Oracle Portal Pages

Is Project Cherokee the Replacement of Oracle Forms? NO

Cherokee : Time Frames
* Early Adopters (OTN) June 2001

  • Production September 2001
  • "Release 2" mid 2002

Production name : HTML-forms.

Summary
* Project Cherokee is allow you to build and deploy Highly
Interactive transactional HTML components
* Project Cherokee Components are easily embeddable into
any JSP pages and Oracle Portal Pages
* Project Cherokee does not replace Oracle Forms

Architecture

Run-time Process
At run-time, a three-part process occurs:
* *1) End user calls JSP => 2 operations in parallel

  • JSP file is transformed into HTML and the Cherokee Client Services is downloaded (>200K) (=browser plug-in like Macromedia Flash)
  • Cherokee Business Engine is started.
  • *2) Cherokee session is established between the Cherokee Client Services and the Cherokee Business Engine (ifweb70.exe) identified by a session-cookie.
  • *3) Cherokee Layout Containers are displayed. All messages are going between the client and server go through the Cherokee Servlet.

Summary

Cherokee uses a 3-tier architecture, with Cherokee services on middle tier utilizing Oracle9iAS components.

Cherokee Services consists of:

-Cherokee Servlet
-Cherokee Business Engine
-Cherokee Client Services

The deployed application consists of: Cherokee modules, JSP files, and optional XML configuration file.

Sessions are managed through a cookie to ensure that a client uses the same Servlet instance throughout its Cherokee session.

"Tina Marie Seaburn" <TinaMSeaburn_at_excite.com> wrote in message news:Bker6.5455$6p5.502085_at_newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net... > I came upon an Oracle whitepaper written in August 2000 about a new  product