Re: What tools exist for migrating MS Access to relational databases?

From: wayne <no_at_email.please.com>
Date: 17 Mar 2001 19:24:54 GMT

> What tools exist for migrating MS Access to relational databases?

Since this is an Oracle group, I'll begin by recommending you use the Oracle Migration Workbench (get it from technet.oracle.com). It works pretty good (just migrated the back-end of a MS Access system), and can save you a lot of work.

For a non-db-specific migration effort, I would recommend Sybase DataArchitect. I have also used that int he past and is very good for generic data-conversion projects. You choose which data you want to import into the system (through ODBC drivers/DSNs), it imports the defitinitions into its own system, and you can export the SQL statements to recreate the objects from the system itself, or you can have the DataArchitect recreate the objects directly on the target through an ODBC connection.

In either system I would recommend you export to SQL statements and modify the scripts to your liking.

Also, the Oracle Migration Workbench produces closer code for the original functionality (ie. replacing Access autonumber fields with a number field and automatically generating the scripts to create a sequence and a trigger to replicate the full functionality). But with the Oracle Migration Workbench you can only create scripts for Oracle. Received on Sat Mar 17 2001 - 20:24:54 CET

Original text of this message