Re: Is it possible to create a System tablespace with Local managed extent?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 01:25:40 +1100

"Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3AA876D5.4EBC4445_at_exesolutions.com... I just logged onto otn.oracle.com. Put in the search criterion "LOCALLY MANAGED" received back 62 items that matched the search. Clicked on the first one. Found the following:
Oracle8i Administrator's Guide
 Release 8.1.5
 A67772-01
9
Managing Tablespaces
Creating a Database with a Locally Managed SYSTEM Tablespace You can create a database with a locally managed SYSTEM tablespace. However, rollback segments for this database must also be created in uniform-managed locally managed tablespaces. A locally managed SYSTEM tablespace is always system-managed. Also, you cannot later revert to a version of Oracle earlier than 8.1.
See Also: For more information about creating a database with a locally managed SYSTEM tablespace, see the Oracle8i SQL Reference. I wonder why you couldn't find this?

[Quoted] [Quoted] This I like. "You can create a database....". Any suggestions as to *how*?

[Quoted] [Quoted] I mean, ordinarily the 'extent management local' clause belongs to the [Quoted] 'create tablespace' instruction. The one thing you don't have in a 'create [Quoted] database' statement is a 'create tablespace' clause.

As to why I couldn't find it, does the number "62" and the phrase "I'd like a life" mean anything to you?

For the same reason, I'm not going to use Oracle's crappy search facility tracking down some obscure paragraph in the SQL Reference guide. I looked, couldn't see it, and would like to be informed by one more knowledgeable than myself.

I don't need the details. I just would like to know: does it involve hacking sql.bsq, or some other obscure script somewhere, or is there some genuine syntactical way of doing it. Unless there's a genuine syntactical way of doing it, I'm inclined to leave well alone.

Thanks, Daniel.

Regards
HJR Daniel A. Morgan
I'm stuffed if I can see a single reference on that site to how to make SYSTEM a locally managed tablespace. All the scripts I saw have the create database command using autoextend and next clauses, which does not a locally managed tablespace make, and the wealth of information there about locally managed tablespaces appear to be entirely for NON-system tablespace. Could you be more specific where they explain how to make SYSTEM locally managed?
Regards
HJR