Re: Oracle Name Server Question

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:27:44 GMT

In %ORACLE_HOME%\bin, there should be two executable files, NAMES.EXE and NAMESCTL.EXE. When Names Server is running, you will see NAMES.EXE running as in the list of processes (from TaskManager). To administer the Names Server, you start another process called NAMESCTL.EXE (for Names Control). When you are done administering Names Server, then you exit NAMESCTL (which kills that process), but the NAMES.EXE process still stays up and running. If you are missing the NAMES.EXE executable, then your installation must not have worked properly.

HTH,
Brian

Flash wrote:

> I have been experiencing difficulties configuring Oracle Name Server. After
> extended research, I discovered that the service created during installation
> is configured to execute "NAMES.EXE". This file does not exist in the
> %ORACLE HOME%/bin directory. I have reinstalled several times and the
> results are the same. Is the Keyword in the imagepath "NAMES.EXE a mistake
> and should read "NAMESCTL" ?
>
> Regards

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at