Re: Registry setting for location of TNSNAMES file

From: Rich Campbell <rcampbel_at_pitt.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 18:14:12 GMT

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 10:21:19 -0500, Chris Fischer <chris.fischer_at_itron.com> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Can anyone tell me the name/place for the registry setting to tell
>various Sqlnet versions where to find their TNSNAMES.ORA file so I
>don't need to maintain multiples?
>
>Thanks!

To override the default directory place the parameter TNS_ADMIN into the registry, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE". You will need to do this for each installed product you have (in each product home). See Oracle Note:67147.1

If TNS_ADMIN is set to "ORACLE_HOME/net80/admin", then the SQLNET.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA files will be read from this directory.

An easier way..
See Oracle Note:90938.1
CREATE an Environment variable (in NT or Win2000) called "TNS_ADMIN" and set it to the path that the TNSNAMES.ORA file is located "ORACLE_HOME/net80/admin". The Oracle document states to replace the EV "OS" with "TNS_ADMIN" -- Don't. Create a new variable.

I believe you should be able to do this in Win 9x by creating the variable in the Autoexec.bat file. See Oracle Note:90938.1

Rich C.
Rich Campbell
DBA
Katz Graduate School of Business
University of Pittsburgh Received on Thu Mar 08 2001 - 19:14:12 CET

Original text of this message